Postcard from Abu Dhabi

Wednesday, September 15, 2010













This summer everyone had Abu Dhabi on their minds and lips with the premier of Sex and the City 2. What most people don't know is that the Abu Dhabi Michael Patrick King had you believe existed, really does not. This entry is a postcard from the real Abu Dhabi. I'm in no way intending to discredit the wealthier and more refined emirate of the UAE. However, Abu Dhabi boasts neither the glimmering skyline or bustling souqs of the movie. In fact, arriving there for my day long excursion had me blown away by how little there was to see. I do believe that the potential is quite apparent though. Its attempts to become the cultural hub of the region are certainly within its reach.

Abu Dhabi is lined with rich green grass, an astonishing feat given the heat, and obvious nod to their fortune. I was absolutely astounded visiting the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It houses the largest Swarovski chandeliers in the world. It imposes an incredibly strict dress code as you will see from my photos. But at least it afforded me the opportunity to wear the abaya I purchased in Dubai. From there I visited the Emirates Palace which is Abu Dhabi's response to Dubai's Burj Al Arab. In true Abu Dhabi fashion, it possesses a more classical sense of opulence and grandeur. Inside was a museum devoted to the development of its creative arts projects, including the new Louvre design.

6 comments:

  1. WOW. This looks AMAZING! Beautiful photos, beautiful location! xo

    xx.M

    www.bellesandrebelles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who don’t travel cannot have a global view, all they see is what’s in front of them. Those people cannot accept new things because all they know is where they live.
    Flights to Toronto
    Cheap Flights to Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you entered the mosque, you will really be awed and amazed at the grandness of it. It really is amazing just to be in there.

    Al Raha Beach Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is amazing!!! Im jewish, so I would never go into a mosque but is some beautiful art work! all that white, gold and blue so peaceful!

    Travel Blogger: VanillaSkyDreaming.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly a beautiful place! Abu Dhabi mosque has all the beauty to capture your heart! Furthermore, your pictures have stimulated my desire to plan a Dubai tour soon. Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the images taken inside the mosque are so damn beautiful, I have read many blogs on this mosque but this is the first blog I have seen that has attached pictures of interior of the mosque. I am trying to get a Dubai visa, but this is the first time that I have applied for my visa therefore I am facing some problems, as soon as I get my visa, I will plan my travel to Dubai and will also search for some best restaurants and street food because I love to eat while travelling to new places.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground