Not the End. Just the Beginning.

Thursday, July 23, 2015


People often ask me what it feels like now to be living the dream, in other words, what it feels like to be working as a full-time fashion illustrator. And to be honest, I really don't know how to answer. I'm not sure if it's because I don't want to disappoint them, or if I'm more scared to disappoint myself. Because guess what, living the dream is not actually a dream, it is hard f**king work. I never thought I would have to worry so much, about so many different things, all at the same time.

It's been 11 months since I quit my corporate job in New York and since then I have had the craziest year of my life. When I got to be a Suggested User on Instagram in September 2014, I was literally catapulted from an up-and-coming illustrator with 8,000 followers, to a whopping 145,000 followers in 3 weeks. Then came the great Instagram purge of 2014, that shaved off 24,000 followers, and I've been steadily growing my following back ever since.

But nothing could have prepared me for what lied ahead. I never dreamed that a single app would play such an important roll in my daily life, to the point that it often feels like my life. I never anticipated the highs and lows that come from followers and regramming and likes and comments and...you get the gist. I often wonder, for better or worse, where I would be had I not gotten featured. But life is a series of sliding doors isn't it and that is one answer I will never really know.

And before I go any further, let me preface the remainder of this post with: I'm incredibly grateful for every opportunity I have had so far. I have seen so many of my greatest goals realized in under 12 months to the point that this year sometimes doesn't feel real. But I would be doing myself, and all of you, a big disservice to pretend like running your own business isn't batshit crazy. Sometimes it's hard to order food because the thought of making one more decision for myself puts me over the edge.

And here's the thing, a year ago today I thought I was FINALLY reaching the finish line!!!! At long last, after 5 years in New York as a legal-resident from Canada, I was leaving corporate America behind, the worries of having my O-1 Visa tied to another employer, having my time, fate, and life in someone else's hands. But I was wrong; it wasn't the end, it was just the beginning. And therein lies the issue. I went from hopping through burning hoops of fire just to stay in this damn country without realizing that the greatest challenge of all was yet to come.

There is no manual for running your own business, ok maybe there are a few, but there are certainly no manuals for illustrators on how to be successful brands and social media influencers. It's the wild west out there people. What is happening around us right now has never before existed. Artists have never had more access and ability to be so well known, so quickly, as they do today. But that comes with a price I assure you. A business built around insta fame is a scary business indeed.

So what is the point of this rant you might wonder?! Well the point is to keep it real. I'm learning as I go just as much as anyone else. I don't have all the answers but I hope that for any of you starting off out there, that you know to be kind and patient with yourself. You can only really learn by experience, even if it's someone else's experience. There is so much that goes on behind the scenes here that doesn't always make sense to show in a beautiful instagram post. This is my chance to connect with you all as your friend and in some cases as a mentor.

And you know what?! When I finally accepted that I'm only now at the beginning of the journey I want to be on, I felt a million times less overwhelmed and defeated. Because truthfully after 5 years in NYC of beating down walls, and going into your first year of business beating down more walls, you start to wonder when does the beating end and the enjoying begin? I'm determined that it starts today. And wherever I go from here, I hope you will come with me!

Much love to you,
Meag xx

18 comments:

  1. Great post! I have a passion for illustrating & often find myself wondering what it'd be like to do it as a career (even though I'm new to art in general ) I love getting to see honest looks into what it is like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Tonya L yes! And so few people really show what is going on under the hood. We are inundated with "everything is fine and glamourous" vs "life is hard and sometimes not so glamorous at all". I try to maintain real, honesty, and integrity here on TWD xx

      Delete
  2. Meagan, I truly like and appreciate your openness about your entire journey of becoming an independent full-time illustrator. Being honest online about the difficulties to work and achieve a dream, that is also very inspiring and motivating. It's not always about the glam side of our work, pretending everything's running so smoothly, it is indeed an up and down. And I like how you face it, how you share it with us. Should you ever be in London Meagan, I'd love to invite you and meet you. Thank you, Janine (mariejaninemurmann.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @MarieJanineMurmann I'm honoured and touched that you would like to meet me one day in London. I'm sure I will be there soon and would love to do the same xx

      Delete
    2. That would be an honour to me as well ;-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this! As an artist it is really hard to decide where to go with your career. But you are truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kelsey yes it is and often it is confusing to know where to go but you have to just trust your gut xx

      Delete
  4. A really insightful post. I just stumbled across your blog through bloglovin and I really adore you voice, experiences, and creativity. You deserve the followers you have! I, myself, am quite lost however excited about the blogging/art world. I'm absolutely amateur but trying to somehow make a mark with my own art, find my voice in writing, and become something online. Proud new follower, here. x

    Louise
    http://louiseplace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Louise Hedberg that is amazing to hear!! Just trust your gut and remember it takes time. Rome was not built in a day and anything worthwhile doesn't come easy. I hope to see you here again soon xx

      Delete
  5. Meagan, your true story is really going to inspire many of us. And your honesty is admirable.
    Your experience says that we should follow our dreams.

    Keep it up!
    International Tour Operators India

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Rutvi Mehta wow, thank you, that means a lot! I don't know how to be anything other than honest xx

      Delete
  6. Good for you. Follow your dreams and never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something or are not good enough. I recently quit my job to travel America and I am loving it! Come travel with me!
    http://www.TravelWithMitch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mitchell Jacob how amazing! Congrats! Will check out your site now xx

      Delete
  7. What an amazing journey that you've experienced so far! It is indeed so strange to be the captain of your own ship when you work for yourself. It's a journey I'm just beginning and it's both thrilling and terrifying :) Keep up the awesome work in the 'wild west'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Abby Jones thank you so much for the most thoughtful comment and wishing you the very best on your journey!! Just remember that you are your own catalyst for success. Never give up, keep pushing!! xx

      Delete
  8. Blog is Awesome! Keep updating new post here and don't forget to visit my blog about kandy to sigiriya day tour and more about Srilankan tour packages. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground